Get your winning wagers down!

PinnacleSports.com Online Sports Betting

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Saturday, June 21st, 2008 - Heartbreak


I've watched a lot of sports in my time and not sure I've ever gone from euphoria to despair so fast as the last two minutes of Croatia's loss to Turkey last night. And what is it with Croatia giving up goals in key games immediately after taking a lead? Shades of the World Cup semi-finals in 1998 against France. I still cannot believe it...the Yankees are just smarter than the rest. They drafted a switch-pitcher who made his debut last night for a minor league squad. That's right, the guy can throw with both arms. And word is, he can switch which he throws with - legally - between batters...UEFA is talking about expanding Euro to 20 or 24 teams? Opinion: don't do it...silently, I had vowed to crack on John Gibbons and his bosses daily until somebody was axed and in short order, it was done. Cito Gaston has long deserved a job in the bigs, but this just seems a little odd. Gibbons record as manager was 305-305...the Toronto Maple Leafs have given hated rival Montreal until July 1st to negotiate a deal with Mats Sundin. The New York Rangers are also interested. Good for Sundin if he can get out of that disaster area...oddest draft quote I've ever seen from new Leafs coach Ron Wilson, on first round pick Luke Schenn: "by trading up for him, it sent a message that we are going for youth." Umm, what were they going to do, draft someone who is 35?...Holland is the winner today (-144) in a series of selections gone south (12-14, -$146) after opening 7-3...a survey of 495 MLB players by Sports Illustrated had Derek Jeter win top spot as most overrated player in the bigs...Toronto FC host Kansas City today. Catch it at 3:30 on CBC...have a great Saturday.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

gbvh is still in pain.
all i can think of is friends who have no interest in sports at all ... and how they never feel this way.

might be time to retire the scarves.

Anonymous said...

GBVH you sound exactly like me after the Superbowl ( I'm a Pats fan). I thought the exact same thing as you and there were times I thought I would never watch sports as often as I do again. With that said, after a few weeks the pain was over and I got over it.

MK, can't believe you used that pic..fuckin painful. Enjoy the game today boys...hopefully it ends in a good result.

gary said...

Cro deserved better. My heart goes out. I felt sick to my stomach for yinz after watching that unfold.

btw...tell Srna he needs to buy a vowel.

Anonymous said...

I'm not opposed to increasing the amount of teams for the Euro; Teams such as England, Serbia, Bulgaria, Scotland, Ukraine, Denmark (could mention Ireland, Israel, Norway, Finland and Belarus as well) missed out this year, and the quality of soccer in Europe is high enough to sustain an increase in teams. Problem is how to limit the amount of extra games for the players. One extra game during the tournament is OK, two is pushing it and three is way too much.

Sure you're going with Netherlands? Personally I wouldn't mind either team, I got Netherlands going to the final and Russia as my darkhorse since this winter so either way I'll be happy. Judging by both teams earlier display this should turn out to be a hell of a game!

BigHeadedJerk said...

Sundin and Tanguay baby.

As someone of primarily Scottish and English decent, I'd certainly be for adding more teams. At least that way I could join in the fun. Now I'm half heartedly cheering for the Germans.

BigHeadedJerk said...

My dad once said,"being a sports fan is like looking in the mirror and punching oneself in the face." Take from it what you will...

Anonymous said...

gbvh ...

I talked to Strap-a-dildo earlier today on Orso's cell and the "soccer match" was at a nil - nil draw in the 77th minute. This is edge of your seat excitement that I am sure made all seem right in the world once again. Sounds like the "strikers" weren't doinf their jobs and the "goal keepers" were outstanding.

Unfortunately again I was not amongst the dozens and dozens of CBC viewers as I had a major bowel movement to take care of that took priority...

Viva Nil - Nil draw !!! (again)

np -- Hannah Montana's Greatest Hits

TB said...

Oh Bukkake, if only the story could be told on the score alone and if only they scored points for missed shots the way they do in the Crappy Football League.

Anonymous said...

hey bukkake,
please familiarize me with the scoring = excitement equation.
i'm not familiar with it.
so i take it basketball and cricket are your favourite sports, then?